Wednesday 21 October 2009

Those appropriate and inappropriate Funeral Songs in Full

After the fuss over secular funerals (a good idea for people who don't believe in God, in our opinion) and unsuitable hymns, I offer the following guidance for any druids who may have to conduct a Beaker funeral, whether at Crownhill, Stopsley, or even one of the many pet crematoria in the Bedford area. 

Just about OK, if not exactly traditional

My Way (Sinatra)
Simply the Best
You'll never walk alone
Angels 
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner

On the Borderline

Goodbye-ee
Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye
The Lambeth Walk (as the coffin is carried in/out)
My Love will go on
Stairway to Heaven

Probably not

The Road to Hell
The Okey-Cokey (see Lambeth Walk, above)
Deeper and Down
The Final Countdown
My Way (Sid Vicious)
If leaving me is easy (then coming back must be harder)
I hear you knocking

Not for cremations

Come on baby, light my fire
Colours of day (light up the fire)
Fever
In the Air tonight
Cool for Cats


4 comments :

  1. Also not for cremations - Smoke Gets in Your Eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's always 'Burn Baby Burn (Disco Inferno)', and 'Living in a Box' by Living in a Box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we had rather a tricky time talking one family out of Smoke gets in your eyes...
    are we over sensitive????

    .... and my mum had My Way- it just about summed her up to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a funeral happen where the final song was Englebert Humperdinck, "Please release me, let me go, for I don't love you any more...."

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl