Friday 11 December 2009

Fog

OK, I'm going out on a limb here and making an exception.  Clearly we try at all times to preserve the distinction between our spiritual and real lives.  I mean, goodness knows the consequences if we start letting one overlap with the other.  Our beliefs, such as we are, might impact on what we do.  And then where we be?  Iran, probably, or an Amish community.  But sometimes these things have to happen.  And I guess, if I were in one of those moods, I could probably portray it in a positive light.  You know - something about an "integrated personality", some blurb or another about "shalom" and, very definitely, a tipping of the hat towards the concept of "wholeness".

So, despite all misgivings, I'm going to have to do it. 

When walking down the roads in all this fog, Beaker People are allowed - if they really are concerned for their own safety, and not just for frivolous reasons or as a fashion statement.  Beaker People are allowed - not instructed, not encouraged, I wouldn't want to go too far - to wear their hi-viz vests.

There, I've said it.  I know that we are talking about sacred and ceremonial wear.  I know I am in danger of profaning the holy.  But sometimes, you've got to accept it, people's physical well being is nearly as important as adherence to ritual standards.

So go into the world, slightly more visible than normal, and on your souls may there be mercy.

1 comment :

  1. I hope that the Hi Viz vests are of the correct liturgical pattern with the Beaker religious motifs prominently displayed to ensure that cyclists or furiously driven horseless carriage drivers are able to distinguish them from false beaker folk, who might be wearing hi viz for elf and safety reasons.

    It is always better if they keep moving, a moving target is more fun anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl