Monday 19 July 2010

Manbags and Hashtags

I was shocked. I went down today to a special "Baptists on the Move" meeting in Essex. I had been excited to receive the invitation, and had been looking forward to meeting fellow-minded, evangelical and Biblically orthodox Baptist ministers from a range of churches that were as godly as can be expected from people who don't attend Salem Chapel, Frisby-on-Soar.

Now I hadn't realised that some members of the Baptist Union were going. Or I'd have thought otherwise. Indeed, some of the ministers were actually women.  I can only hope and pray that they are the pastors of special women-only churches, where their ministry would be acceptable, but I somehow doubt it.  And to make it worse, I met a Baptist Union minister who told me that in his church "manbags" are all the rage. According to said - I can only say - person, you can convince people that you're actually carrying a Bible in there, when in reality it's a bag of Werther's Originals, some spare cash , a Vic inhaler and your house keys. I noted that he was also wearing - and I can only shudder again - sandals.

Manbags. Just think of that word again. Manbags.

I look into the Holy Scriptures to find out what God has to say about Manbags, and I find it in Dt 22, as I expected:

22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. 


Strong words? I think so. But abundantly clear. All cross-dressing is forbidden - indeed, an abomination - encouraging towards licentious behaviour and acts of a potentially unisexual nature. So we shrink from men in blouses, dresses or skirts - or those skirt-like things that trendy German theology lecturers bring back from the South Seas. We don't have much of this sort of thing in Frisby-on-Soar but I can imagine it in Market Bosworth, or Melton Mowbray.  Indeed, sometimes I wake in a sweat in the night, imagining transvestitism in Melton Mowbray. Women in "slacks", or shirts that button as a man's shirt does. Any man wearing a shirt in subtle pink or topaz shades, or particularly a tie in such colours. For myself, I'd include any man wearing a kilt. Not to mention men wearing anything as effeminate as face-cream, bubble bath or going about with pierced ears.


And as for a manbag- which is just a lady's handbag with word "hand" replaced with "man" - clearly this comes under the prohibition. It's a handbag.  Just admit it.  And putting the holy Scripture into such an abomination - well, words fail me. Had I known that members of the Baptist Union had been attending the conference - I would never have attended. In future I shall read the invitations more carefully.

5 comments :

  1. "a MANbag????" (in an Edith Evans/Lady Bracknell voice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're convinced that Jesus wore trousers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been really getting into the concept of inculturation, so on balance I'm fairly sure Jesus would not have worn trousers. But I've given some thought of it, and done some research. So on balance Jesus would have worn something like a flowing, but manly robe - whereas women in those days would have worn a womanly robe, possibly in blue rather than the white or maybe pale green that Jesus would have favoured.
    I hope this has cleared things up for you, David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. manbags, whatever next....

    as for those skirt like things worn by trendy German theology lecturers... :-)

    Thanks Drayton for bringing this to our attention so glad I am a methodist...

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl