Monday 19 July 2010

Sydney Carter (1915-2004)

I was flicking idly through the hymn book in preparation for next Sabbath's divine worship, and I came across a hymn by Sydney Carter.
I note that in a long career of destruction, Carter managed to write not just "Lord of the Dance", but "One more step along the world I go", "When I needed a Neighbour" and "Every star shall sing a carol".
Maybe nobody in history inflicted so much suffering, drivel and liberal gibberish on so many with so little compassion.  Surely, sometime, somebody should have stopped him?

3 comments :

  1. Really Rev Parslow, what kind of hymnal is this, I am shocked: surely you only employ Redemption Hymnal at Frisby on Soar. I will praying earnestly for your return to true orthodoxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid it was the result of a brief flirtation with the "March for Jesus" in the 1980s. It would appear that the Frisby Baptists went astray. The good news is that I've excised all offending pages from that particular batch of hymn books. The bad news is that they now consist only of the covers and "There is a fountain filled with blood". It was a strange collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Redemption Hymnal!!! Redemption Hymnal!!! The true path of sanctity lies in the singing of metrical Psalms ONLY without the accompaniment of a "kist o'whistles" or divers other "musical" instruments.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl