Wednesday 6 October 2010

All have lost, and none shall have prizes

I'd like to reassure you about the changes we've made to our Single Family Saver deals.
Yes, on the face of it, it does appear unfair that a single-parent family no longer gets £50 cashback per child on their monthly Beaker Battels, while the same cashback under the Married Couples bonus still applies, as long as both parents have decently but not richly paid jobs.
And the reason that it looks unfair, is because it is unfair.
But look at it from our perspective. It's much simpler for us to hit the Single Family group like this as the single parents are going to be far busier, and less likely to complain.
And it misses the real point, which is that if everyone else is still talking about the way we've treated this group, nobody is going to complain when I introduce the charges on consumption of drinking water later this week. After all, we're all in this together.

4 comments :

  1. Ah, I am a single mum and in general far to busy to give a stuff about the ConDems. However, I have been listening with deep sympathy to the plight of the stay at home mums and their reliance on Child Benefit to pay their huge mortgages.

    Furthermore, I have been told repeatedly that they are doing the best thing, staying at home, and realise now what a dreadful parent I am.

    Hence, I have decided that perhaps I should make a sacrifice, find a man with a higher level earning job, live in a large house and go on marches to protect this way of life.

    If the Archdruid knows of any such man for me to marry, could she send me the details, preferably with photos, especially photos of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since when was life fair?

    Dog eat Dog, Last person standing, seems to be human nature.

    It appears that the Archdruid's new rules are as fair as the Goverment's and what is good enough for ConDem, must be good enough for Druid's.

    Just thinking about the Dog eat Dog comment, and wondering if I could save on some dog food for my Great Dane by some judicious off-lead walks in the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, Ven. Archdruid,

    this is just a friendly note from your local special police branch. Obviously we are happy with your community as it takes care of many who would otherwise be a burden to the taxpayer at closed psychiatric institutions. Also, the CCTV cameras in your community are working really well now, thank you.
    However, your blog, while appreciated for its frank speech, is in danger of being mistaken as satire. Some readers might be inclined to think that you are criticizing the government. I am sure that is not your intention. Please be more careful in the future.

    Best wishes,
    X

    P.S.: We know where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Revd Lesley - Ladies that stay at home while their menfolk go out to work to keep them don't go on marches. They have people to do that for them. But I will keep an eye out for large houses containing single men for you. Drayton tells me there's quite a large house called "The Presbytery" in Frisby on Soar where a single man lives, but he's probably not the marrying type.

    Meanwhile Comrade Holger - this England is no longer the once whence you fled. We are under a marginally lower degree of surveillance, and yet simultaneously we are all to become much poorer. Swings and roundabouts.
    And I like to think I am only applying a level of healthy sceptical inquiry to our new Government's announcements, trying to understand the metanarrative behind the talk of cuts and Big Societies - something I hope I learned in Biblical Studies seminars.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl