Wednesday 6 October 2010

The Beaker Society

It's truly an historic day as I stand here before you, as the first Archdruid to address the Beaker Folk of Husborne Crawley Mini-Moot since the last time.  And I really want to talk to you about the Beaker Society, my new idea that everyone ignored last time but you're all going to have to listen now because I'm in charge.

But first - there's been a lot of talk about our reductions to the Single Family Cashback. And I have been reminded that this also affects the 2-Parent Family Cashback scheme as well. But I have good news. In 3-4 years time I hope to reward the two-parent families with some stickers, which I hope will make up for the lost 600 quid per annum. I'm afraid I can't think of any such sop for the Single Families.  But I hope they'll be comforted by the thought that the stickers came free in the children's activity packs, when I took my nieces out for a pizza the other day. And I also hope that they'll be too busy to do much about it.

But let no-one be in any doubt. We need a lot of money to do the old place up a bit. Mr Jovanovich and his colleagues left quite a mess behind. And so we're putting a special "cleaning up the place surcharge" on the prices of all souvenirs in the Beaker Bazaar. And room rents are going up 10%. And for those people on the "assisted room rents" scheme - you're not any more.

But I'd like to remember the words of St Francis at this time. "Grant me the treasure of sublime poverty", said the saint. And you can be assured that in poverty we will be set free.


Let me give you an example. Until now, anyone falling into the brook on the way back from the White Horse would have to wallow around in the mud until Harriet Harman, complete with the appropriate approval forms signed in triplicate, could be induced to come round and help. And even when, for reasons of Health and Safety, the right equipment was on site to extricate the bewildered Beaker Person - they would have to give evidence that their being removed from the mud would not cause them to make jokes about other people who were still in the mud.  But now - now, if a Beaker Person falls in the mud, they have total freedom to drag themselves out, no matter what age, gender or sexuality they may be, without any interference from the Nanny State or the Druidic Council.

Or take CCTV. Under Mr Jovanovich, this was an intrusion into our private lives - an imposition of the overbearing administration over the ordinary person. But no more. Now, we have licenced the CCTV to Hnaef.  He's hoping to make an absolute fortune selling film of amusing adventures and late-night liaisons to reality TV programmes. If using private initiative to make money out of the common person isn't what the Beaker Society is all about, I don't know what is.

I'm going to knock this talk on the head now. I know you're all just itching to get  outside and start picking up sticks and bits of old pallets and tyres out of the hedgerows.  We're going to be cutting back on heating in the Big House this winter, so you're all going to need all the fuel you can get. That's what the Beaker Society is all about. And don't forget, we're all in this together.

2 comments :

  1. Archdruid Eileen, I am a bit upset about the stickers for single parents. I feel driven to immediately go an check out the man in the Presbytery to see whether I might gain stickers by marrying him.

    However, talking about marrying types, I am worried about the Druidic Council's lax attitude to the CCTV. Can you assure me that the CCTV will continue in the rooms of confirmed bachelors, I wouldn't like to think that any hand holding went on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a confirmed bachelor?

    Perhaps Lesley can enlighten us all.

    Is it something to do with Christianity, as I did not know that you needed to be a bachelor to be confirmed! I was married, so am I in sin?

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl