Sunday 20 February 2011

The Hoopoe / Lapwing Debate

I have been having a debate with Young Keith ever since his experiments with hoopoe cookery. On the strength of the King James Version of the Bible,  I made it quite clear to Young Keith that the bird described as not to be eaten in the Good Book is the lapwing, not the hoopoe.

Indeed, we have a lapwing in the grounds of our cottage. (I should tell you that I have had to take down the sign saying "Manse". Eileen, in that "amusing" way of hers, kept telling me it was sexist and writing the letters "Wo-" in front).  Living as we do on the edge of arable land, it is quite quite popular with lapwings. And this particular one seems to have found a particular niche where it can find a rich source of insects. I've become quite fond of it, indeed. 

But after that discussion about cookery, I've become a little worried. Not a lot worried - for that would be a sin - but  a little. I just came home from chapel, to find Young Keith leaning over the fence with a hungry and thoughtful look on his face. And I reckon he's looking at my bird.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl