Monday 14 February 2011

Liturgical Fashion

This morning while sulking in the Library and listening to my collection of “Smiths” music, I was pondering again Canon Phil Ritchie’s comments on the fashionable ways of wearing dog collars. And reflecting that, in the Beaker Folk, these issues tend not to apply.
I am very fond of donning my Archdruid’s pointy hat, but this is strictly for important ceremonial occasions. I would never dream of wearing it in public – not because I want to be some kind of “stealth” Archdruid, but because small boys have a habit of pelting it with stones or, according to the weather conditions, snowballs.
Likewise, being the traditionalist that I am, I would prefer to restrict the wearing of the Beaker hi-viz to liturgical purposes only. I note from the Bad Vestments site that some Anglican and Catholic priests and bishops are just a short step from wearing hi-viz themselves at some services, which is why I emphasise the distinctiveness of Beaker liturgical wear. In particular, I’ve had many heated discussions with Burton, as I’ve tried to persuade him not to wear his reflective waistcoat for cycling.  I just feel it is debasing the specialness of the liturgy. Honest.
Steel toe-capped safety shoes are our traditional footwear, but I see no reason why we should always reject the fruits of progress. Kevlar toe-capped shoes are lighter weight and actually stronger. While they are considerably safer and less encumbering to liturgical dance during our annual “Celebration of Strong Electromagnets” festival.
So overall I see no place in Beaker liturgical clothing for fashion or embellishment.  It’s hardworking, reliable and reverent. There are those who say I should declare the specialness of my Archdruidical status – for those I may meet in the street, or wherever, for whom a glimpse of an Archdruid may call them to confession of some covert sin or for spiritual advice and wisdom.  And to those I will point out the motif on my special Archdruid’s Sweatshirt, with its simple and yet discreet identification of my status  - “I’m the Archdruid – don’t mess”.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl