Thursday 17 February 2011

Patriarchy and Sacred Texts

I have read with interest Revd Lesley's discovery that a sacred text written in a patriarchal period has implicitly assumed that men are the active ones who are in charge, and the women are the objects, rather than subjects, of the commandments. And Lesley asks who we identify with in the story of the woman caught in adultery. Well, personally I've always identified with the bloke with the stone who still insists that, just because he's not without sin, doesn't mean he can't chuck a rock. And who is then dragged off by his embarrassed mates with "leave it, she's not worth it".
But I feel I have revealed more of my inner thoughts there than I should have. So I will return to what should have been my theme - the role of men and women in sacred texts. And I have examined my own sacred texts.

It is notable that in the works of Thomas Hardy, about the only strong, good characters - I have the possible exception of Gabriel Oak here - are the women. Elfride Swancourt, Thomasin Yeobright, Marty in the Woodlanders - and of course particularly Tess are all notable for being women. The bad men are largely dashing bounders - Alex D'Urberville, or Sergeant Troy spring to mind. While the "good" men are the boring, useless ones - Clym Yeobright and Angel Clare being the obvious ones. Clare, while supposedly embodying the modern virtues, is a useless beggar who causes the death of the women he claims to love through his own Victorian censoriousness and uselessness.

Likewise, in Last of the Summer Wine - the women and strong and a bit scary, while the men are mostly a bit useless. Which, come to think of it, seems to be the case round here as well. So, on the whole, I approve.

4 comments :

  1. I believe that strong women are necessary for the good health and curbing of men's aspirations to be the stronger sex.

    The traditional male role of hunter, gatherer has been superseded these days by house husband, personal assistant and general dogsbody.

    By keeping us in our place, it stops wars and arguments, and promotes the 'her indoors' mentality, which frees men to be their normal, henpecked selves.

    Off course, the pub, the traditional refuge from persecution by the male of the species, now seems to be also dominated by loud, laddish females exerting their superiority.

    Where is a man to go for refuge, now even Husborne Crawley has been declared a female dominion?

    It looks like facebook, where you can set up a man only group, without being subject to some militant feminist wishing to boss you about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On facebook you might be subject to a man pretending to be a woman or vice versa. There is no safe haven... hang on.. yes there is - how about the House of Bishops?

    ReplyDelete
  3. start Ronny Corbett impression

    I hate strong Women...

    A splash of perfume on them now and again works for me...


    end Ronny Corbett impression

    ReplyDelete
  4. But how could one be sure in the House of Bishops? I am not sure the testing is as rigorous as it could be.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl