Tuesday 12 April 2011

The Nails That Crucified Jesus

Will Cookson gives the answer to the question "Are these the nails that crucified Jesus?" And it's a "No". Shame, really. But if Simcha Jacobovici wants to post them down to Husborne Crawley, I'll stick them in a drawer with all the others. That's the drawer above the one that contains the teeth of St Apollonia. Or, at least, ninety-three of them. And below the big cupboard with all the heads of St John the Baptist. The one we made out of fragments of the True Cross.

I think I'll hang my nice photo of Jesus's tomb on the wall as well. Or maybe this tomb. Or better still, both. They'd make a nice collection, wouldn't they?

Wikipedia notes that the belief that 3 nails were used in the Crucifixion is called "Triclavianism", and was condemned as a heresy. Which makes one wonder how slim a hair can be split, and just how big a pin you need to get angels to dance.

2 comments :

  1. I would only attempt three rusty nails these days and I'm no angel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are but they only found two rusty nails. Seems an even worse heresy than that of three nails!!
    Did they only nail a foot and one hand? Or did they nail the hands but not the feet?
    I feel a papal bull coming

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl