Tuesday 26 April 2011

On Germanic neo-paganism

Often people ask me, given my obvious interest in the relationship between God and nature - why do I persist in holding this fusion of Trinitarianism and meditating on tea lights? Why not consider something like the Germanic paganism that our ancestors once followed. (I say "our" assuming I am having this debate with a fellow descendant of the Norse, Angle and Saxon people - and, if you insist, the Jutes. Celts and others can go and sing something from Iona if they prefer). Why not look at the stories of Thor, Frigga, Loki and the rest in the light of the joys and terrors of nature?

But my response would be that I find Trinitarian Christianity encompasses the great truths of monotheism as well as the vibrancy and diversity of polytheism. It embraces universal myths while having a rooted, historical base in a real, historical human life.

Also, for me religion has to engage not just with the intellect. It's got to chime in with the affections. If I'm going to follow a religion I have to feel the truth as meaningful to me. And I don't have a Woden heart.

2 comments :

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl