Monday 9 May 2011

I Prophesy Disasters

I was most interested in Gentle Wisdom's words (which were, as one could predict, both Gentle and Wise) on prophecies relating to earthquakes - especially in California.

I often terrify Burton, when I've an idle moment, by pointing out that the Good Book prophesies that earthquakes, wars and rumours of wars must happen before the End will come. And therefore (though we are forbidden from idle speculation) - the End must be at some point in the future. I apologise for that garish typesetting, but it seems obligatory when we talk about The End TimesTM.

But, if it's fashionable to prophesy inevitable disasters, such as an earthquake in California, then I don't see why I can't get in on this one. Might be a few quid in it, apart from anything else. So here are my own prophecies. Some of these will be avoided if we repent (i.e. genuinely change our ways) but I'm afraid some we're stuck with. The world's beautiful, and physics elegant. But the sticky stuff still happens.

There will be an earthquake in Iceland within the next 30 years. British people will struggle to pronounce its name. John Prescott will struggle to pronounce "Iceland". Americans will struggle to understand where Iceland is.

Within the next 100 years or so, the pure-bred Pinta Island Tortoise will become extinct. And nobody will have tried to do anything about it.

The Bible will eventually be translated into more languages than there are living languages. But this won't be because Bible translation is unnecessary.

Unless we change our ways, or they do, within 4 years the sound of the Liberal Democrat will no longer be heard in the land.

Mudslides will take place in South America. Blaming it on global warming will be missing the more immediate causes.

Unless we stop burning it and making plastic out of it, we will eventually run out of oil. This isn't scare-mongering, it's just a statement of fact.

People around the world will realise that making artificial fossil fuels out of agricultural crops is stupid, inefficient and totally missing the point. It might take longer for governments to catch up on this one (see previous "Fergie" post about just doing things.)

And lastly, a very real, very serious prophecy. If we do not repent of our ways, people will continue to die of starvation.

3 comments :

  1. I'm put in mind of of the docu-drama last night on the BEEB about the Thera eruption that decimated the Minoan civilisation; those poor people reacted to physical events they couldn't understand by sacrificing bulls and even people, as was the Bronze age way..

    The amazing thing about this article is that apparently there are people living in the 21st century that barely understand as much as the Minoan's did 5000 years ago about how our planet actually works. I think there's another instalment on BBC2 tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Archdruid. Yes, there's even a few quid in reporting other people's earthquake prophecies - to be precise, £19.01 so far this month from Google Adense, nearly all from my David Wilkerson prophecy post which seems to be going viral. But I'm careful not to say that these quakes are signs of "The End TimesTM". Mass starvation is I suppose a more likely sign of the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Sounds like I must get Google Adsense fitted. Imagine all those tea light sales I'm missing out on!

    Yes, I think your post was very sensible and balanced. I have posted above on another prophesy. But I may expand into the world of what do we mean by an End time when I'm in serious mode.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl