Thursday 9 June 2011

St Columba

I received a text last night from Hnaef, telling me he's miscalculated on the orbit of Proxima Centauri. Quite badly. He says on the scale we're using it should be quite a long way past Moulsoe. He tried to tell me where he was, but he seemed to have drunk quite a lot of what he called 'wodka', and he was getting drowned out by the sounds of Cossack dancing.

But he followed up with a text. As usual he seems to have been having trouble with the predictive text, but I gather that by 'Columbine and Ernest Day' he was trying to indicate that he wanted to mark the saints' days of St Columba and St Ephrem the Syrian.

So this morning's Occasion is in honour of St Columba. We've thrown all the left-over croissants from breakfast out on the lawn, to attract plenty of pigeons in his honour.

And as the centrepiece of the Occasion I'm going to let all the Beaker Folk enjoy the St Columba Experience. Which will consist of turning a fire-hose on them while Gwladys shouts at them in Welsh, over a backing track of Berlioz's Requiem to give us some real Latin. What could be more authentic?

We'll celebrate St Ephrem the Syrian tonight. I need some help moving all those icons. And we really need the dusk to make the tea lights worthwhile.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.0

3 comments :

  1. Orbit of Proxima Centauri? About what - the galaxy?

    Always had my suspicions about you religious types...

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chair Bill, I should have said something along the lines of "path", remembering that the movement of good old Proxima is relative to the sun which we have defined as stationary (as opposed to the Sun, which I suppose one could define as "stationery".
    You are a pedant of the first order, and I commend you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun is stationary? Have you not read the Bible? Or indeed Ptolemy?

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl