Wednesday 31 August 2011

St Aidan to Husborne Crawley

It's always nice to remember St Aidan, the man who introduced Celtic Christianity to the North of England. I like to think of him turning up on the Lindisfarne tidal causeway, bearing a basket of tea lights, a violin and a bodhran, and thereby winning over the pagan Angles with the gentle lyric mysticism. Although we must remember that Aidan succeded where his equally-Celtic successor failed. So I'm guessing that, to appeal to his Northern English would-be flock, Aidan abolished the Offertory.
I note that our own King Penda of Mercia had occasion to attack Aidan's little flock, failing due to a miracle. And on behalf of all Mid-Angles and Mercians, I would like to apologise to all Northumbrians for this unwarranted incursion into their lovely land. I will be sending a personallly-signed apology to that Embodiment of the North, Victoria Wood. But no compensation.

1 comment :

  1. Oh, I thought he introduced ice-cream cones... a Gallone's cornet probably. Well that's what his status depicts anyway.......

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl