Friday 17 February 2012

Morning has Broken

The "First Morning", if we should choose or be able to define it, would have been a point in the rotation of a coalescing mass of hydrogen, helium and heavier elements, dragged together by their own gravity after being ejected by the death throes of a former star.

Any folk singer or, indeed, blackbird, present at the time would have died due to the lack of a breathable atmosphere. Which at least would have saved them from the more painful death consequent on the solar radiation from which they would not have been shielded by the unbreathable atmosphere.

I've no idea what the first "dew fall" would have been on that first earth, but I'm guessing something fairly acidic. And it wouldn't have fallen on the first grass, because that came billions of years later.

Likewise the "first bird". I"ve always been fond of the notion that birds are indeed actually the only remaining dinosaurs - members of the warm-blooded, flying group to be sure. Now I don't know what the first pterosaur sounded like but I'd guess something fairly terrifying rather than the sweet call of a blackbird.

So, on the whole, I think some people can over-romanticize this whole "like the first morning" business. Morning has indeed broken, but thank goodness it's not like the first one.

6 comments :

  1. It's the first poodle that worried me - the poodlesaurus. A terrifying beast, by all accounts.

    There's a new security thingie - can't read the damned words. I've switched the words 6 times and still having problems decrypting them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can go to far in robbing people of their innocense first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the afternoon, people recognise their pre-coffee spelling mistakes and understand that the morning had indeed been broken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked on your post title 'Morning has Broken' expecting some advice on how to mend a broken morning. I'm disappointed - the morning will have to stay broken if you can't tell me how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do, however, like Cat Stevens' rendition of it. Or is that Yussuf Islam I'm thinking of?

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl