Thursday 10 May 2012

A Definitive Genesis Experience

Such excitement, Dear Readers!

Tomorrow I and Eileen are going to watch G2 Definitive Genesis perform at Wavendon Stables.

G2 are a group who work very hard at what is, after all, very complex music. They practice diligently (I know for a fact that keyboard practice was going on till late last night in the G2 household) and tomorrow they are going to be doing something which Genesis never did.  Playing the whole of A Trick of the Tale and Foxtrot live. These men are lovers of progressive music, and travel the country for the joy it brings to our ageing ears.

In recognition of their dedication and workmanship, I shall be timing the songs carefully to ensure they are authentic and accurate representations of the originals. Obviously it would be fairly easy to get a whole song the right length and so, to ensure there is no nasty cheating by speeding up or slowing down at the end, I will be taping the individual parts. I will be making sure this is particularly the case during the instrumental in Mad, Mad Moon. I played this once myself and it was note perfect. Well, to be exact I coded it into my computer and played it through a MIDI interface into my electronic keyboard. Which is, on a functional basis, exactly the same thing.

I do however have one cloud on my horizon. I referred this afternoon to Eileen and myself going on a "date". Once she had recovered from that unexpected outbreak of retching and choking, this led to me being hit with her cricket bat of doom. Eileen would like to make it very clear that she separately bought her own ticket, has a seat at the other end of the Stables and will be travelling independently. She has also declared that I will get another thump with the cricket bat if I encroach within the 30 yard "personal exclusion zone" she has declared around herself.

Which isn't that romantic, I agree. But it's still better than some dates I have been on in the past.

3 comments :

  1. Wow, there must be something to the date thingie, if Eileen reacted so violently?

    I think that a little perseverance could soon have wedding bells ringing in Husborne Crawley, with Mrs and Mr Archdruid moving forward in awkward unison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun AE! Nostalgic prog rock geekery, the threat of violence *and* sexual tension, what more could you possibly ask of a Friday night in Milton Keynes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not actually Milton Keynes. I took my daughter there once at an impressionable age to hear Ratdog and it was great.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl