Monday 7 May 2012

Murder Mystery Church

I've just snuck out from the latest "Fresh Expression of Moot" to give an update. The "Murder Mystery Church" is part of our "relevant church" initiative, and based on our observation that Murder Mystery evenings are very popular, and Church isn't.

Somebody in the Beaker Community is a murderer! We're not sure who it is yet. All we know is that the standard procession left the Great House, but during the walk down the Corridor of Uncertainty all the lights went out. By the time we emerged through the North Door, the procession was lacking the left wing-back.

Who did it? Was it Chives McParsley (Burton), the surly Scottish flower-arranger? Was it Arlene O'Scouser (Mrs Hnaef) the friendly Liverpool-supporting housewife with a dagger concealed in her kitten heels? Or was it Ralph ("call me Rafe") Posshe-Twitte, the leading light in the local Tory party who's concealing Masonic Secrets and has a mysterious duelling scar?

Frankly, I've no idea. Since we discovered that the "victim" was clubbed to death with a handbag the finger of suspicion has very much fallen on me, a.k.a. Christina Flannell, the liberal-catholic female vicar. But I'm pretty sure it's not me. At least I hope it's not. If nothing else, I reckon Burton deserves 10 years in the slammer for over-acting.

I've no idea what any of this has got to do with sharing the Gospel, but then that's the way with a lot of the ideas thought up by our "Mission, Fund-raising and Entertainment Committee". They reckon it "blurs the edges" of the Beaker Community by making our activities "accessible". Whereas I've a sneaking suspicion it's just having a jolly evening with no discernible impact on the local spiritual temperature at all. Still, I've got to go back in now and flirt with the Chief Inspector. There's no rest for the wicked.

1 comment :

  1. I think churches should definitely adopt this once in a while. The victim could be the one who annoys the most people at the last meeting.

    The last 2 sentences had me laughing hard enough to fall out of bed, luckily it's only a daybed and not a top bunk any more, otherwise there might be more crimes afoot.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl