Thursday 11 April 2013

Falling off the edge of the world

A fascinating set of photos in this little montage on the BBC website of collapsing cliffs in the northeast.

Reminds me of that sketch from the Secret Policeman's Ball. The one where Peter Cook tells his disciples that the wind will not be so great as to lay low the mountains of the earth. So he and his followers will be as safe as houses. The houses that will be burnt by the fire burning on the Jereboam.

There's a metaphor here about security, permanence and what we put our hope in. But I won't draw it out, or they might be offering me a job on"Thought for the Day". Instead, I'll leave you with just this as a moral to the story - don't live on cliff edges. Those cliffs in Broadchurch look dangerous and foreboding, because they are.

"And great was the fall thereof."


1 comment :

  1. I think you'd be just the thing for "thought for the day"

    ReplyDelete

Drop a thoughtful pebble in the comments bowl